Skip to main content

Expand



Challenging myself to participate in Teach Write's Daily Writing Project. Here is my writing today:


Growth is a challenge

Routines are comforting, yet can become dull

I thrive in plans and structure and schedules

However, struggles arise when I meet an unforeseen challenge

I want to expand my abilities to be flexible

I want to expand my mindset of what is a challenge

I always want to plan for every possibility and still become frustrated when I can't anticipate something

I want to expand my definition of difficult

I want to change my habits to become less frustrated by surprises

I want to express myself in someway everyday

I want to embrace challenges and celebrate the small victories

It is so easy to sit in the dark of the present

But I want to open up to see the light around me

Celebrate the everyday, the light that I don't always notice

i want to open up my mind to seeing what's already around me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My turkey ran out...

In today's edition of "kids say the darndest things", I had a student who walked into our second-period French class with only 10 minutes left in the period. I know that this student lives within walking distance. I also know this student is a great story-teller. Towards the end of the class period, while students were completing their final class activity, I went over to the late student eager to hear his excuse for today. He explained that he was late because "my turkey ran out of his cage". I was surprised and amused by this story.  "So I went to the slaughterhouse on Friday to pick up a guinea fowl and a turkey" he began. "I had the turkey in a cage in my living room. This morning, my grandma woke me up and yelled 'the bird is out of its cage!' So I got up and went running around outside my house to find the turkey. Then my grandpa woke up and yelled 'what's going on here?' Then I told him about the turkey. So anyway, th...

Tension

Tired, anxious, on edge Later than usual Less time to plan Less time to prepare Bell rings Students file in Feeling unsettled Students are chattier than normal Spring fever in full swing Unprepared for the lack of focus Feeling tension start to build Students not completing the work Repeating instructions four times Less patient Frustrated Losing all sense of calm Pause Breathe deep Take a minute Release the tension The day has only just begun

Stillness

It’s hard for me to stay still I don’t like quiet I like to move I like to do things I like to be active Even when I’m inactive, I’m listening to music or watching something Stillness is stagnant Stillness feels stuck Stillness feels unproductive Teaching is a crazy job that demands so much So much time, so much effort, so much movement I want to try to embrace the stillness and enjoy moments of calm But as I sit here by the fireplace and watch snow fall I can’t help but itch to move, to do, to create I feel uncomfortable in the stillness It reminds me I’m alone It makes me anxious even afraid I long to enjoy the calm But the stillness makes me stiff