Skip to main content

Reaching the Finish Line


Grades are entered. Final Exams are finished and I am reaching the end of my first year of teaching. It has been a whirl wind. Looking back to where I was one year ago, graduated from grad school and so anxious for a job. After I got my job, I was so excited and terrified at the same time. Thinking back to my first day with my students, I didn't know how to be or who I'd be as a teacher. I was exhausted with what they call "decision fatigue", not realizing how many things I'd decide within a class period, let alone a full school day. I remember by December feeling drained, questioning everything, wondering if I'd make it out. New teachers get a lot of advice, often unsolicited, two pieces that stuck with me: 1) don't make a career decision during your first year and 2) have a life. There were many days, class periods, even moments where I thought is this really right for me? But I think that is a normal feeling for any teacher, for any person. The second piece of advice to have a life saved me this year. I consider myself a "bad" new teacher in that I very early on stopped myself. I stopped staying late, I stopped taking all my work home to grade. I felt a lot of guilt about doing this and worried I wasn't being a "good" teacher. I care greatly for my students and their work, but by caring for myself, I feel I was truly better able to serve them. I began doing yoga nearly every day and actually spent time with friends, family as I could. I began to use my time during the day more productively, grading essays, projects, assignments during prep periods. I stopped grading every single assignment I collected. I actually had time to go to events at my school to show up for my students. So despite not having tons of crying nights and leaving the school last, I feel like a had a successful first year. I know that I cannot anticipate the challenges of next year, but I wanted to reflect on how far I feel I've come. From anxious and afraid, to a teacher who students say hi to as I leave school. I am reaching the finish line and am grateful for the support I've received to make it here and look forward to a reflective summer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My turkey ran out...

In today's edition of "kids say the darndest things", I had a student who walked into our second-period French class with only 10 minutes left in the period. I know that this student lives within walking distance. I also know this student is a great story-teller. Towards the end of the class period, while students were completing their final class activity, I went over to the late student eager to hear his excuse for today. He explained that he was late because "my turkey ran out of his cage". I was surprised and amused by this story.  "So I went to the slaughterhouse on Friday to pick up a guinea fowl and a turkey" he began. "I had the turkey in a cage in my living room. This morning, my grandma woke me up and yelled 'the bird is out of its cage!' So I got up and went running around outside my house to find the turkey. Then my grandpa woke up and yelled 'what's going on here?' Then I told him about the turkey. So anyway, th...

Tension

Tired, anxious, on edge Later than usual Less time to plan Less time to prepare Bell rings Students file in Feeling unsettled Students are chattier than normal Spring fever in full swing Unprepared for the lack of focus Feeling tension start to build Students not completing the work Repeating instructions four times Less patient Frustrated Losing all sense of calm Pause Breathe deep Take a minute Release the tension The day has only just begun

Stillness

It’s hard for me to stay still I don’t like quiet I like to move I like to do things I like to be active Even when I’m inactive, I’m listening to music or watching something Stillness is stagnant Stillness feels stuck Stillness feels unproductive Teaching is a crazy job that demands so much So much time, so much effort, so much movement I want to try to embrace the stillness and enjoy moments of calm But as I sit here by the fireplace and watch snow fall I can’t help but itch to move, to do, to create I feel uncomfortable in the stillness It reminds me I’m alone It makes me anxious even afraid I long to enjoy the calm But the stillness makes me stiff