Skip to main content

Anticipation


Twas the night before semester 2
And all through the apartment
This teacher was stirring and couldn't quiet her mind

While I'm excited for a new semester, a new slate
I can't help but feel anxious
Will I be able to reset for classes that need it?
Will I get overwhelmed with grades?
Will I provide lessons that are dynamic, engaging, and relevant?

It is so easy to instantly self criticize
But I hope to use today as a pause
I can embrace the time to rest and relax before we jump in tomorrow

I can get caught up in how will the rest of the year go
But I'm using this moment to remind myself to take it one day at a time
Teaching is a career where each day we have the chance to start again
We get opportunities to constantly reflect and retool our craft

But I need to continue to practice balance
I can consume myself with constant self reflection which so often leads to self criticism
I will repeat my refrain "one day at a time"

Writing will have my back for the many ups and downs that are in store
For now, I will try to quiet my racing thoughts and focus on the now

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My turkey ran out...

In today's edition of "kids say the darndest things", I had a student who walked into our second-period French class with only 10 minutes left in the period. I know that this student lives within walking distance. I also know this student is a great story-teller. Towards the end of the class period, while students were completing their final class activity, I went over to the late student eager to hear his excuse for today. He explained that he was late because "my turkey ran out of his cage". I was surprised and amused by this story.  "So I went to the slaughterhouse on Friday to pick up a guinea fowl and a turkey" he began. "I had the turkey in a cage in my living room. This morning, my grandma woke me up and yelled 'the bird is out of its cage!' So I got up and went running around outside my house to find the turkey. Then my grandpa woke up and yelled 'what's going on here?' Then I told him about the turkey. So anyway, th...

Tension

Tired, anxious, on edge Later than usual Less time to plan Less time to prepare Bell rings Students file in Feeling unsettled Students are chattier than normal Spring fever in full swing Unprepared for the lack of focus Feeling tension start to build Students not completing the work Repeating instructions four times Less patient Frustrated Losing all sense of calm Pause Breathe deep Take a minute Release the tension The day has only just begun

Stillness

It’s hard for me to stay still I don’t like quiet I like to move I like to do things I like to be active Even when I’m inactive, I’m listening to music or watching something Stillness is stagnant Stillness feels stuck Stillness feels unproductive Teaching is a crazy job that demands so much So much time, so much effort, so much movement I want to try to embrace the stillness and enjoy moments of calm But as I sit here by the fireplace and watch snow fall I can’t help but itch to move, to do, to create I feel uncomfortable in the stillness It reminds me I’m alone It makes me anxious even afraid I long to enjoy the calm But the stillness makes me stiff