Skip to main content

Reset


Long weekends are filled with plans
I'll get so much reading done
Maybe I'll practice the art of tidying up and clean my entire apartment?
I'm sure I'll write everyday

The best laid plans don't always come to fruition
I spent most of my weekend lounging and eating with friends
Watching hours of Netflix catching up on movies I hadn't yet seen

I used to get mad and down on myself for not completing things
I often view relaxation as wasteful and inefficient
ut now in my second year of teaching, I'm starting to relish the time off

Teaching is amazing and challenging and exhausting
I feel like I always have one million tasks on an ever-growing to-do list
Some days I barely sit down or have enough time to eat

So I'm grateful for time to reset
I'm not a superhero, or superhuman, or a robot

I am a person who loves my students and cares deeply
But I still need my rest

I need to put away my planner for a few days
I can let my backpack down and not think about my gradebook

I hope that my own reset practice will help me better help those in my life and be better prepared to give my students engaging lessons

Reset, reset, refresh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My turkey ran out...

In today's edition of "kids say the darndest things", I had a student who walked into our second-period French class with only 10 minutes left in the period. I know that this student lives within walking distance. I also know this student is a great story-teller. Towards the end of the class period, while students were completing their final class activity, I went over to the late student eager to hear his excuse for today. He explained that he was late because "my turkey ran out of his cage". I was surprised and amused by this story.  "So I went to the slaughterhouse on Friday to pick up a guinea fowl and a turkey" he began. "I had the turkey in a cage in my living room. This morning, my grandma woke me up and yelled 'the bird is out of its cage!' So I got up and went running around outside my house to find the turkey. Then my grandpa woke up and yelled 'what's going on here?' Then I told him about the turkey. So anyway, th...

Tension

Tired, anxious, on edge Later than usual Less time to plan Less time to prepare Bell rings Students file in Feeling unsettled Students are chattier than normal Spring fever in full swing Unprepared for the lack of focus Feeling tension start to build Students not completing the work Repeating instructions four times Less patient Frustrated Losing all sense of calm Pause Breathe deep Take a minute Release the tension The day has only just begun

Stillness

It’s hard for me to stay still I don’t like quiet I like to move I like to do things I like to be active Even when I’m inactive, I’m listening to music or watching something Stillness is stagnant Stillness feels stuck Stillness feels unproductive Teaching is a crazy job that demands so much So much time, so much effort, so much movement I want to try to embrace the stillness and enjoy moments of calm But as I sit here by the fireplace and watch snow fall I can’t help but itch to move, to do, to create I feel uncomfortable in the stillness It reminds me I’m alone It makes me anxious even afraid I long to enjoy the calm But the stillness makes me stiff