Skip to main content

When the writing gets tough


       Today I had an experience not very unique with my students.
In helping my ELL students with an English essay, I found that I myself did not understand the prompt or the article. I feel that secondary ELLs face a unique set of challenges in that they are to be writing college level essays in a school system they may be new to. This is not to say that the students cannot do the work, on the contrary they can.
     However, we as teachers need to break things down much more in order for all our students to understand the task. All the acronyms in the world do not guarantee students understand the task we ask of them. Many students are not used to writing about their personal opinion and they may not have a opinion on the taks we give. This experience today made me frustrated as a writer, struggling to write my own mentor sentences. I am reminded of the importance of knowing what we are asking of our students as teachers and always making sure if we ask them for something, we ourselves could do the task too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My turkey ran out...

In today's edition of "kids say the darndest things", I had a student who walked into our second-period French class with only 10 minutes left in the period. I know that this student lives within walking distance. I also know this student is a great story-teller. Towards the end of the class period, while students were completing their final class activity, I went over to the late student eager to hear his excuse for today. He explained that he was late because "my turkey ran out of his cage". I was surprised and amused by this story.  "So I went to the slaughterhouse on Friday to pick up a guinea fowl and a turkey" he began. "I had the turkey in a cage in my living room. This morning, my grandma woke me up and yelled 'the bird is out of its cage!' So I got up and went running around outside my house to find the turkey. Then my grandpa woke up and yelled 'what's going on here?' Then I told him about the turkey. So anyway, th...

Tension

Tired, anxious, on edge Later than usual Less time to plan Less time to prepare Bell rings Students file in Feeling unsettled Students are chattier than normal Spring fever in full swing Unprepared for the lack of focus Feeling tension start to build Students not completing the work Repeating instructions four times Less patient Frustrated Losing all sense of calm Pause Breathe deep Take a minute Release the tension The day has only just begun

Before the Alarm

Lately I’ve been waking up early Sometimes a few minutes, sometimes an hour Some days there’s so much anticipation, it’s hard for me to rest March is a month of no breaks from school It’s a month of transition It’s often  difficult and  goes by slow Waking up early I’m caught up in my to do lists But today I seek to take a moment Pause Listen to the silence Embrace the calm before the day begins