Skip to main content

History Has its Eyes On You

Image result for nyc history day
Today my fiance and I had the privilege of being volunteer judges for NYC History Day at the Museum of the City of New York. As avid history buffs, I am so grateful to have shared this experience together. Students can perform, create websites, create documentaries, posters or papers surrounding the annual theme. The theme this year was Triumph and Tragedy and students were tasked with selecting a historical event that highlighted both elements. This was an amazing and inspiring day where middle and high school students were able to showcase their hard work and where I could work with other educators to observe and evaluate the projects. Students who place here will be going to the state competition and those who place at state will then go to nationals. I was so glad to have the opportunity to see so many students passionate about history in a world filled with social media and focus on the now. I hope to share this event with colleagues and my own students and have them participate. I am so happy with a day filled with students and history and new colleagues and I was lucky I to be "in the room where it happens" today.

Comments

  1. I can't resist a Hamilton quote. This sounds like a great experience for both you and the students. Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must have been an exciting and stimulating day. Thanks for sharing history with us.

    ReplyDelete

  3. You had me at the Hamilton references! What a cool experience, how did you get to be a part of it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grateful

Today I am grateful for a snow day. I have just come back from back to back trip. The first, an amazing trip to Europe with my students, and the second a funeral. I've been jet lagged and emotional and I am grateful to have space and time to myself to rest and recharge today. Last week due to all the travel and grief, I was very stuck and felt on edge. I felt easily irritated and found myself neglecting grades in order to try to be present for my family as they grieved. I felt like a bad teacher. I often feel this difficult balance and sometimes find it difficult to be a good teacher and good friend, relative, significant other. I feel sometimes when I feel I'm doing really well as a teacher, my personal life is not as nourished and I don't feel my relationships are being well cultivated. But to the opposite, if I feel I am being a good friend/daughter/significant other, I am not necessarily a good teacher. I am so grateful to have today to pause and rest and reflect. I h

If at first you don’t succeed

If you give students the opportunity to debate and you’ve prepared them with a wealth of resources, Will they participate successfully? Today my answer was no. I found that my best laid plans were unsuccessful. Some students were well prepared with notes while others had no idea we were doing a debate. My success rate is not particularly high with this class, but at our second attempt at a more formal class discussion I had high hopes. I’m feeling down on myself like I let them down. But I’m trying to take the unsuccessful lesson in stride and use what happened today to improve the next time. If at first you don’t succeed, revise your lesson plan.

Tension

Tired, anxious, on edge Later than usual Less time to plan Less time to prepare Bell rings Students file in Feeling unsettled Students are chattier than normal Spring fever in full swing Unprepared for the lack of focus Feeling tension start to build Students not completing the work Repeating instructions four times Less patient Frustrated Losing all sense of calm Pause Breathe deep Take a minute Release the tension The day has only just begun