Skip to main content

Be Kind, Rewind


On some days, teaching feels invigorating and I feel like most, not all, but most of my lessons are a hit. On other days, days like today where I feel drained at the thought of staying at school fro 12 hours for parent teacher conferences, I feel like the day drags. I try to reflect back on days like these and rewind moments in my mind. How could I have handled the issue with that particular student differently? What students am I giving attention to and who is someone that could use extra support or a brief conversation? Las year, in my first year of teaching, I found my rewinds were often negative, " I should've done this differently". This year, I'm trying hard to find the positive moments, what did a student say that made me laugh? Who did I connect with today that I now know a little better? Days like today where I'm tired and drained and feeling like I'm running on empty, it isn't easy to feel positive but I know how much a kind gesture or comment from a colleague means to me, so I try my best to extend that to my students as well. I try to greet my students at the door and say goodbye to them at the end of each class. Who knows if this makes a difference? But here's to trying.

Comments

  1. I think a personal connection always makes a difference. You are showing your students they matter. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes a difference whether the rewinds are positive or negative. Focusing on the positive allows to build resilience. Greeting and saying goodbye to the students shows that you care and respect your students and I am sure that the students feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand. Yesterday was one of those day for me...draining, running on empty. I'm taking a Positive Educator Course and it's changing the way I think entirely! Something I'm really taking away is that we're not striving for more positivity and less negativity...but we're trying to learn how to deal with the negative that is inevitable. Bad days don't mean you're failing, they mean you're human! Treat yourself to some self-care today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I applaud your efforts to make the positives so loud that the negatives go away! You and your students will all be better for it! And you might not see that you are being a positive role model for your students - which many don't have in their homes. It's so easy to think of the negative - what you are doing will pay off for both you and your students!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As humans, we do tend to focus on that which we could have, should have. As a teacher, you are practicing a much needed skill - seeing what went well. Keep it up! And good luck with conferences. Mine are all day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you're making an effort to focus on the positive moments throughout your day. As I was reading about how tired you are, I can completely relate! My blog post today is an acrostic poem about TIRED lol I'm sure your students are grateful that they have you there to greet them and say good-bye to them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My turkey ran out...

In today's edition of "kids say the darndest things", I had a student who walked into our second-period French class with only 10 minutes left in the period. I know that this student lives within walking distance. I also know this student is a great story-teller. Towards the end of the class period, while students were completing their final class activity, I went over to the late student eager to hear his excuse for today. He explained that he was late because "my turkey ran out of his cage". I was surprised and amused by this story.  "So I went to the slaughterhouse on Friday to pick up a guinea fowl and a turkey" he began. "I had the turkey in a cage in my living room. This morning, my grandma woke me up and yelled 'the bird is out of its cage!' So I got up and went running around outside my house to find the turkey. Then my grandpa woke up and yelled 'what's going on here?' Then I told him about the turkey. So anyway, th...

Tension

Tired, anxious, on edge Later than usual Less time to plan Less time to prepare Bell rings Students file in Feeling unsettled Students are chattier than normal Spring fever in full swing Unprepared for the lack of focus Feeling tension start to build Students not completing the work Repeating instructions four times Less patient Frustrated Losing all sense of calm Pause Breathe deep Take a minute Release the tension The day has only just begun

Before the Alarm

Lately I’ve been waking up early Sometimes a few minutes, sometimes an hour Some days there’s so much anticipation, it’s hard for me to rest March is a month of no breaks from school It’s a month of transition It’s often  difficult and  goes by slow Waking up early I’m caught up in my to do lists But today I seek to take a moment Pause Listen to the silence Embrace the calm before the day begins