Skip to main content

Before the Alarm

Lately I’ve been waking up early
Sometimes a few minutes, sometimes an hour
Some days there’s so much anticipation, it’s hard for me to rest
March is a month of no breaks from school
It’s a month of transition
It’s often  difficult and  goes by slow

Waking up early I’m caught up in my to do lists
But today I seek to take a moment
Pause
Listen to the silence
Embrace the calm before the day begins

Comments

  1. Yes! Love embracing the calm. It’s so amazing in the quiet of the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This truly spoke to me! I will remember to pause and "Listen to the silence" more often this month. We need to cherish all the calm this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Kelsey! Yes, I'm working on listening to silence as much as I can this month as it is so busy for teachers.

      Delete
  3. You capture the busy and productive days you have in that moment just before the day begins so well. Your post reminded me how I do the same thing, especially when I have a big day ahead of me. Thanks for the reminder to pause!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Sally! I'm really trying to wok on pauses in my own days as well.

      Delete
  4. This is great! Enjoy the silence! I wish I could wake up early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Jenna! It was a rare early wake up for me. I'm not really a morning person before coffee.

      Delete
  5. Great post, Michelle! I especially liked these lines:
    "Some days there’s so much anticipation, it’s hard for me to rest
    March is a month of no breaks from school"

    Anticipation takes so many forms! Enjoy the extra minutes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Fran! Enjoying an unexpected snow day today!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My turkey ran out...

In today's edition of "kids say the darndest things", I had a student who walked into our second-period French class with only 10 minutes left in the period. I know that this student lives within walking distance. I also know this student is a great story-teller. Towards the end of the class period, while students were completing their final class activity, I went over to the late student eager to hear his excuse for today. He explained that he was late because "my turkey ran out of his cage". I was surprised and amused by this story.  "So I went to the slaughterhouse on Friday to pick up a guinea fowl and a turkey" he began. "I had the turkey in a cage in my living room. This morning, my grandma woke me up and yelled 'the bird is out of its cage!' So I got up and went running around outside my house to find the turkey. Then my grandpa woke up and yelled 'what's going on here?' Then I told him about the turkey. So anyway, th...

Tension

Tired, anxious, on edge Later than usual Less time to plan Less time to prepare Bell rings Students file in Feeling unsettled Students are chattier than normal Spring fever in full swing Unprepared for the lack of focus Feeling tension start to build Students not completing the work Repeating instructions four times Less patient Frustrated Losing all sense of calm Pause Breathe deep Take a minute Release the tension The day has only just begun

Stillness

It’s hard for me to stay still I don’t like quiet I like to move I like to do things I like to be active Even when I’m inactive, I’m listening to music or watching something Stillness is stagnant Stillness feels stuck Stillness feels unproductive Teaching is a crazy job that demands so much So much time, so much effort, so much movement I want to try to embrace the stillness and enjoy moments of calm But as I sit here by the fireplace and watch snow fall I can’t help but itch to move, to do, to create I feel uncomfortable in the stillness It reminds me I’m alone It makes me anxious even afraid I long to enjoy the calm But the stillness makes me stiff