Skip to main content

April 1- #NaPoWriMo

Today's poem is inspired by The New York Times ad poem "Truth is Hard" campaign beggining May 2017 https://store.nytimes.com/products/truth-kids-poster.

The truth is I am tired
The truth is I try hard every day, but sometimes not my hardest
The truth is I am always worried I'm not doing enough for the kids
The truth is I don't feel like the best role model all the time
The truth is I make mistakes and forgive my kids more easily than I forgive myself
The truth is I am still trying to fully embrace my identity as a writer
The truth is I have been faking it hoping I'm making it this year
The truth is I love my students everyday, even when they drive me crazy
The truth is I know my kids will leave this world a better place than they found it
The truth is I get hope from interactions with teenagers everyday
The truth is I am only one person
The truth is I am me and I am enough


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My turkey ran out...

In today's edition of "kids say the darndest things", I had a student who walked into our second-period French class with only 10 minutes left in the period. I know that this student lives within walking distance. I also know this student is a great story-teller. Towards the end of the class period, while students were completing their final class activity, I went over to the late student eager to hear his excuse for today. He explained that he was late because "my turkey ran out of his cage". I was surprised and amused by this story.  "So I went to the slaughterhouse on Friday to pick up a guinea fowl and a turkey" he began. "I had the turkey in a cage in my living room. This morning, my grandma woke me up and yelled 'the bird is out of its cage!' So I got up and went running around outside my house to find the turkey. Then my grandpa woke up and yelled 'what's going on here?' Then I told him about the turkey. So anyway, th...

Tension

Tired, anxious, on edge Later than usual Less time to plan Less time to prepare Bell rings Students file in Feeling unsettled Students are chattier than normal Spring fever in full swing Unprepared for the lack of focus Feeling tension start to build Students not completing the work Repeating instructions four times Less patient Frustrated Losing all sense of calm Pause Breathe deep Take a minute Release the tension The day has only just begun

Stillness

It’s hard for me to stay still I don’t like quiet I like to move I like to do things I like to be active Even when I’m inactive, I’m listening to music or watching something Stillness is stagnant Stillness feels stuck Stillness feels unproductive Teaching is a crazy job that demands so much So much time, so much effort, so much movement I want to try to embrace the stillness and enjoy moments of calm But as I sit here by the fireplace and watch snow fall I can’t help but itch to move, to do, to create I feel uncomfortable in the stillness It reminds me I’m alone It makes me anxious even afraid I long to enjoy the calm But the stillness makes me stiff